Whether your backyard is big or small, your outdoor living space should also be tailored to your personal tastes and needs. Here are ten inspiring ideas to help you design your backyard home away from home and make the most of the summer season.
1. Distinct areas were created in this limited space, each geared towards a specific activity: dining, conversation and relaxation.
2. Transfer the garden tools to the garage and transform your garden shed into a studio or outdoor office!
3. Bordered by a thick grass walkway, these lush flowerbeds are a treat for the eyes, nose and feet!
4. A bed of smooth river stones outlines this outdoor dining area, harmonizing beautifully with the surrounding materials.
5. The massive structure of natural wood and the plants surrounding it create a relaxing space. The various textures of the hammock and cushions give a bohemian style to this garden.
6. Natural stone and a variety of luscious greenery fill the cosy backyard of this West Village home in New York City that belongs to actress Julianne Moore.
7. Rather than get rid of their old camper, the owners transformed this RV into a cute playhouse for their kids. It could just as well have been designed to serve as an outdoor guestroom.
8. A backyard garden becomes a private oasis of peace and serenity with this simple daybed, a few cushions and asian carpets.
9. This spacious backyard successfully combines both attractive and functional design elements, including a paved walkway, grass and a vegetable garden in addition to a variety of annuals and perennials.
10. The sleek furniture and free-flowing vegetation in this outdoor space are an eloquent example of an exterior design that matches the home's architecture and style.
[Main photo via PRLOG]