Canada abounds in breathtaking landscapes that offer welcome moments of quietude and repose. An all-time favorite of Canadian nature lovers is to escape along the water in order to relax, enjoy the view and take maximum advantage of the summer months.
To kick start your summer daydreaming, here are 10 Canadian waterside homes.
1. Designed by Sauders Architecture, this commanding home seems to be from another dimension. Perched on the shoreline of Fogo Island, Newfoundland, the studio's futuristic design is as spectacular and unequivocal as the surrounding landscape.
2. This quaint house sits on a tiny island on Lake Ontario, showing that paradise can be found even in the smallest of spaces!
3. This splendid floating home, which rests in an island cove on Lake Huron, Ontario, is designed to adapt to its changing environment. The buoyant structure is built on a steel base that rises and descends with the fluctuating water level. The weathered cedar finish and large windows converge with the natural landscape.
4. This MAFCO House is one of many designs composed of 16' X 16' modules that are strategically placed to interface with the terrain and maximize the view. An ideal solution for a rock-bound location such as this.
5. With its simple and sleek design, this beautiful fisherman's cottage overlooking Trinity Bay , fits perfectly into the Newfoundland landscape.
6. Located two hours out of Toronto, this former boathouse overlooking Stony Lake was converted into an elegant glass studio by its owner.
7. This regal West coast home sits on a sprawling 68-acre oceanfront estate in Victoria, BC. An architectural masterpiece with an exquisite view.
8. Resting on stilts, this lofty dwelling on Cortes Island, British Columbia, offers a front-row view of the Strait of Georgia.
9. Built on the shores of Val-des-Lacs, Quebec, this standout 850 sq. ft. house charms with both its simplicity and elegance. The home was designed to ensure total privacy and a superb view of the lake.
[Main photo via National Geographic]